[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

John Abreau wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> ...it doesn't seem right that some outside force (an
>> FTC lawsuit, for example) should compel Microsoft...
>
> Let's apply this logic to other areas of commerce:
>
> [I]t doesn't seem right that some outside force (a government food safety
> inspector, for example) should compel a restaurant to include in its
> "Food Preparation Requirements" that ingredients are handled in a manner
> that ensures they won't serve food-borne pathogens to their customers.

I don't see the relevance in the comparison. The example you site is a
matter of public safety and presumably the FDA would be operating within
its authority granted by law.

In the case of Microsoft and Secure Boot, the situation would need to
pass some thresholds of anti-competitive behavior to be in violation of
the law, and enforceable by FTC action. That's what I am doubting. Not
that a government agency can or should regulate commerce in general.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA