[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

On 7/30/2012 1:40 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> While technically correct, the reality is that most ARM hardware made to
> run Windows 8 will inevitably be designed specifically with that
> intention and sold exclusively that way. No hardware vendor is going to
> release a separate version for the 1% that want to run something else.

So what?  It isn't Microsoft or Google forcing locks on the OEM.  Never
mind that Android has a dominant market share in the mobile space and
Windows RT currently has... lemme check... zero.  One device that can
run either OS just by flipping a bit in the baseband is the best way for
an OEM to hedge against a Windows RT failure or slow start.

> This is a Tivo-ization of hardware. Limiting what the user can do with
> hardware they bought.

I call it appliance computing.  The vendor does what it deems necessary
to ensure that the appliance (device and services) perform to advertised
specifications for the lifetime of the appliance.

> So given their stance on x86, any thoughts as to why Microsoft imposed
> this limitation on ARM? (Aside from the obvious one that they feel much
> more vulnerable in the mobile space, and there is no established user
> base to complain about the change.)

Refusing to run unsigned code is an effective method of preventing an
operating system -- any operating system, not just Windows RT -- from
being compromised.  ARM running Windows RT is an appliance and
appliances just work when you push the "on" button.

--
Rich P.