[Discuss] Big Data obsession

In our drawn out discussion about databases, and most discussions about
databases this happens as well, the subject of HUGE scalability was
trotted out. Now I am by no means dismissing "big data" as a real
problem. Seriously, I worked on some pretty large systems -- hundreds of
servers. It is a complicated problem. Not only do you need to get the
most out of each system, but you have to make many systems work as a
single logical one.

There are some businesses that really need this functionality and scale,
but, the problem is that 99.99% of the software being developed will
NEVER EVER scale to that size. The developers are so eager to solve that
problem that they forgo more practical designs. Also, no matter what you
do, it will take a lot of time to grow to that size! So, even if it is
envisioned in the business plan, you'll have probably cashed out your
stock options and be living on an island before you need to develop it.

My favorite example is facebook. Yes, they are a big data show case.
OMFG they have a lot of data and a lot of computational requirements.
They did not start out dreaming of big data. It started small and grew.
I believe that this inadvertent strategy helped them greatly. By
focusing on the site and what it did and *not* how to make it scale
until scalability was needed they were able to be attractive to more
users more quickly.

Opinions?