[Discuss] Ouya and XBMC

Heard about Ouya?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/283033

It's a Kickstarter (crowd) funded project to build an Android-based
gaming console. (They raised $7.5M from 56,000 backers, well exceeding a
goal of about $1M. Clearly lots of market demand.)

The described product didn't have much appeal to me personally, but it
sounded like a great media player platform. Apparently lots of other
people had the same idea.

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/

  Maybe it was inevitable. Maybe it was because of the hundreds, if not
  thousands, of demands on Twitter, in blogs, on Facebook, in Reddit,
  and in Kickstarter comments. Maybe it's because many of Team Ouya
  support XBMC, and nearly a third of Team XBMC members are Ouya
  backers.

  Regardless, we are delighted to announce that XBMC will be working
  with Ouya to ensure that XBMC works well on the Ouya platform.

I don't see what GPU or video decoding hardware it has, but this $100
box with a quad-core CPU and 1 GB of RAM has a better chance supporting
future codecs than many of the current set-top-boxes that depend
entirely on proprietary video acceleration hardware and drivers.

On the down side they don't expect to have these available until March,
which means more likely closer to a year from now, and those specs will
be lagging behind by then.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro