[Discuss] Ouya and XBMC

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:12:18 -0400
Matthew Gillen <me at mattgillen.net> wrote:
> (the PS3 initially had some additional hardware to make it fully
> compatible with all PS2 games, but sometime after release decided it
> was too expensive, so they quietly yanked it from newer models)

The real reason was to stop PS3 owners from buying PS2 versions of
games that were published cross-platform.

The PS2 version of a game had a lower license fee than the PS3 version
of the same game and Sony was suffering badly for it across almost the
entire PS3 launch library.  They yanked the Emotion Engine (the PS2
chipset) to force subsequent PS3 owners to buy the more expensive PS3
versions of games.  Sony admitted as such but quickly retracted the
statement in an attempt to avoid the publicity backlash.

--
Rich P.