[Discuss] suggestions on how to free code?

Hi All,

Where I work we needed some software.  We evaluated about 20 different
applications, free and non-free.  They were either too expensive (I
work at a non-profit) or just sucked.  So we rolled our own.  I just
had my annual review and all I asked for was to make our app gplv3 and
allow me to release it.  The boss doesn't mind.  So I'm tiding things
up and will release before xmass.  We use this application to manage
constituents daily.  I wrote it all.  Not the best code but works as
advertised.

My question is, how to release in a way that lays the foundation for a
community?  I just read
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/index.html
and like it mucho.  Any other tips from BLU?

Thanks,
Eric