[Discuss] suggestions on how to free code?

On 08/13/2012 10:30 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Hi All,

Making code GPL is easy. Putting it on an open version control (github,
sourceforge, etc)is easy. In short the "mechanics" of what you want to
do is easy and well documented.

Two things in your email suggest it won't get a lot of following: "20
different applications" and "too expensive." This is usually a
indication the you are in a vertical market where the population of
potential users/contributors is quite small. Even today most Windows
developers have never been to source forge. The idea that someone in
your field will look for an open source version of this tool is remote.
The fact that there are 20 different app's to choose from may indicate
that it is a problem that is reasonably solvable and more to the point,
may be fun to solve and without needing a lot of coding infrastructure
to support the function.

Creating the "community" is quite difficult. Assuming you can get the
word out about your project (which isn't easy), it has to be something
people want and written in such a way that people will want to use it
instead of writing their own. It has to be more efficient to learn how
to use your project than it is to write their own. Depending on what the
app is, there is a "trust" issue, they'll need to reasonably believe it
will work before they even download it to test it. They'll want the
familiar configure/make paradigm, bells and whistles, docs, etc. It will
need to be easy to configure and should have some examples so that they
can see it work immediately, we are, after all, and impatient bunch.
Just getting your system, what ever it is, to the point where it has a
chance is a lot of work.

All in all, search github or sourceforge for projects, there are tons of
them! Some really cool, but most, it seams, largely abandoned. My advice
to you is to put it in GPL if you like, it costs nothing and *maybe*
someone will benefit. However, there is no hard and fast way to create a
viable community. Even with the best of projects its hard and unlikely.