[Discuss] Google wants images of my passport, driver's license, bank statement, etc.

Farewell google.  What else can I say?  Seriously.

I tried to purchase something from the Google Play store, in my android tablet today, and I keep getting an error that doesn't say much of anything.  "Your order could not be processed. Please try again."  So I tried a different credit card, I tried adding new credit card, still generic error messages.

So I tried logging into google wallet via web browser.  They ask for Account Verification.  Which includes Driver's License, (upload scanned images), passport, or other photo ID, bank statement, credit card statement, and/or utility bill.

Here's what they say:
We were unable to verify the credit or debit card information for your recent order. Your order has been cancelled and your card was not charged. Rest assured that Google is committed to preserving the security of your information and providing a safe online shopping experience.

To resolve this issue, you'll need to scan the following verification documents to your computer and then upload them below.

If you don't have a scanner, please click here.  (Fax option)

Until we receive and verify the requested documents, future orders will not be processed. Please do not create additional accounts.

If you choose not to submit these verification documents, your account will remain suspended and you will not be able to place orders or access your Google Wallet account.

They ask for my driver's license, passport, bank statement, credit/debit card statement, utility bill.

Obviously, I'm not going to give them any or all of that stuff.  Just so I can pay them $0.99 for some stupid app.

When I pay other companies, they do normal things, like, redirect me to Verified By Visa, or stuff like that.  This whole process is taking place over SSL secured https...  And I have a strong password and two-factor authentication on my google account...  So there's seriously no way for any fraud to be taking place either by me or anyone else trying to hack my account or anything.  This is going way too far.  Nobody in their right mind should give any credit card payment processing center their driver's license, passport, bank statement, etc.

Foolish.   Baaah!!!  I want to play my stupid video game!    ;-)   Too bad...