[Discuss] /etc/exports

We just moved from our former office using a 10. domain to a 9. domain.
In short the issue is that I want to be able to enable some hosts to be
able to access some files and directories as root. The files are mounted
from a Netgear ReadyNAS 3100.
In the ReadyNAS there is a field for each export where you can list the
hosts allowed to access those directories. This results in a
/etc/exports entry with the following:
for hosts I have 9.xx.yyy.0/24 - Class C subnet.
The export also contains no_root_squash.

In the past, I used 10.71.0.0/24 - Our subnet was 10.71.0. This worked.

A couple of other considerations: The ReadyNAS used to be on the same
subnet as the hosts trying to make the changes as root. In our new
domain we have 4 different subnets. The 2 physical machines that remain
are in one subjnet. One host is a VM in a separate subnet - I don't care
about at the moment
The 5 VMs that replace our old hardware are in the 9.xx.yyy subnet.
And 19 VMs that are hosted on our HP DL380 G7 ESX server are on a
separate subnet.

I'm looking for some clues. We are currently on a fairly secure switch.
I'll check with the networking guy on Monday, but I don't think it is
the switch.

For a test yesterday I also used a single host address in the exports file.

I have not used host names, just IP addresses. All of our host names
have the same prefix. So the next time I log into the NAS, I may simply
edit the exports file on one export using a hostname prefix.

In any case I'm looking for some ideas.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix