[Discuss] /etc/exports

On 08/26/2012 12:00 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
>> [long complicated description of a network problem]
>>
>> In any case I'm looking for some ideas.
> First of all, I'm going to give the generic response that I give
> whenever a networking problem occurs.   Run tcpdump, ethereal,
> whatever, on one (or preferably both) ends of the problematic
> connection and see what packets are actually being sent/received.   I
> have found that comparing what I see in a broken connection to a
> working connection usually makes it much easier to figure out where I
> got the configuration wrong.
>
> Now for a specific suggestion.    I've seen low cost appliance vendors
> place arbitrary restrictions on their hardware in order to avoid
> competing with "enterprise" products.   Is it possible that the
> ReadyNAS box has some kind of artificial restriction that it will only
> talk to the local subnet?
No. It's fine. The ReadyNAS 3100 is a rack mounted server in contrast to
their home and SOHO systems. I was able to solve the problem by allowing
no-_root_squash on the * section. THe issue is only to allow certain
hosts root access to the shares. In the past I limited it to the subnet
in our office, but we have several different subnets (Virtual machines
that replaced our old physical machines, virtual machines on the Boston
ESX system. But, the the logins will be restricted to people in the
office, so using the "All" or * with no_root_squash works fine.

And, yes using tcpdump and ethereal are also good debugging choices.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix