[Discuss] can one safely login multiple times to the same user on a modern Linux desktop?

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Shankar Viswanathan <
shankar.viswan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Some applications (i.e. Firefox) are also problematic.   I've dealt with
> > that  by having different profiles, but any other suggestions for Firefox
> > would be appreciated.
>
> I use the same "solution" as you. And mostly I just use 'lynx' to do
> quick documentation lookups (from internal wiki).

I've taken this a step further and have the multiple Firefox profiles share
the same Firefox sync account.   That way they can still have access to the
same bookmarks or whatever else I want to share between them.   I may have
mentioned this at a BLU meeting, but I don't think I posted it here before
now.    This also lets me have multiple Firefox instances which have
different security/privacy configs, but still share bookmarks.

I use the "Profile Switcher" and "Open With" extensions to help manage
this.   Profile switcher lets me quickly start a new profile if it isn't
already running.   If I get a link on a web page that I don't want to run
in the current profile, I use Open With to pass the URL off to my default
Firefox profile.   I'm still working on being able to have more then one
profile be able to accept remote requests to open a new URL.

Bill Bogstad