[Discuss] hosts.equiv

If you are confident in the security of your local net, and you don't want to use ssh, you have two choice: rsh or running a daemon process on one or both systems.

To use rsh (works on Fedora and Slackware, can't vouch for anyone else):
1) enable xinetd (if not enabled) and then enable rsh
2) Create $HOME/.rhosts on all destination systems, adding "+ <username>"
3) chmod 400 $HOME/.rhosts
4) add a line with "rsh" to the end of /etc/securetty

To use a daemon process:
1) Create /etc/rsyncd.conf  -- do an man on rsyncd.conf
Here is mine:

uid=jerry
gid=jerry

[backup]
    path = /usr4
    strict modes = false
    use chroot = no
    max connections = 15
    hosts allow = la-machine,opus,bnt,puma,ra
    read only = false

2) Enable xinetd and rsynchd
3) On server systems, specify target like "valhalla::backup/la-machine"