[Discuss] Disabling UEFI and dual booting Linux and Windows

While it is possible to disable UEFI, if Windows 8 is preinstalled and
UEFI is disabled, does that actually prevent Windows 8 from booting. The
stuff I have read states that you have to reinstall Windows 8 in
non-UEFI mode. The issue is that at our installfests, we get a lot of
dual boot requests. I tend to prefer virtualization, but for the most
part if the BIOS (or UEFI) does not allow turning on the hardware
virtualization support, VirtualBox does not allow for 64-bit guest OS.

Fortunately at our installfests, we generally do not get brand new
laptops, so I suspect we will not see a UEFI system on December 8th.
Most Linux distros will be UEFI compliant by the end of December.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix