[Discuss] Linux Mint Cinnamon Home Permissions

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 on Sunday.  Everything looked good
except for an odd display problem.  As I typed in LibreWriter or gmail
(via a Web browser) it would sometimes whiteout the sentence ahead of
where I was typing.  The text was still there, but just not shown.

I realized I was using the Gallium driver and thought switching to the
nVidia driver might help.  I installed the nVidia driver using this
command: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

I couldn't figure out how to restart X (Cinnamon) so I rebooted.  (I
know now you can go to the Notifications panel in Cinnamon and click
Troubleshoot -> Restart Cinnamon).  When I rebooted, Mint wouldn't let
me login.  It complained that my home directory wasn't writeable.

I booted off a CD (System Restore CD 3.1.1) and discovered that the UID
on my home directory was changed from 1001 to 1000.  That's very odd.  I
chmod'ed it back to 1001, rebooted into Mint Cinnamon and all was good.

So my question is...How can updating a graphics driver change someone's
home directory permissions?

Will