[Discuss] Linux Mint Cinnamon Home Permissions

On 12/11/2012 01:53 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:10:27AM -0500, Will Rico wrote:
>> I couldn't figure out how to restart X (Cinnamon) so I rebooted.
> In most cases it's sufficient to log out and log in again.  This
> generally restarts the X server, and as long as any relevant kernel
> modules have been loaded (or will get autoloaded by modprobe) your new
> configuration should be active.
>
>> So my question is...How can updating a graphics driver change
>> someone's home directory permissions?
> It shouldn't, but technically it's possible.  Updating your driver
> requires root priviledges, and having them makes anything possible.
> Still, it seems unlikely that updating your driver was the cause.
>
> You could follow Bill's suggestion and pull apart the package and see
> what it does.  Or you could just test it...  Being very careful not to
> run anything else, log in to your system, change the driver back to
> gallium.  Log out, and check your ownership and permissions.  Then log
> in again, update it to nvidia again, and do your check again.

Possibly an easier way is to make sure everything is Kosher including
your home directory permissions and ownership, then after you have
verified, reinstall the package that you think caused the problems, then
double check the ownership et. al. Then you can terminate your X session
by logging out. You should be able to log in once again. Or if the
problem is the same as before, then you can assume that the package you
installed is the culprit.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix