[Discuss] Linux Mint Cinnamon Home Permissions

Thanks for the tips guys!  I tried to recreate the problem and ran into
a couple of new ones, lol...

(1)  I couldn't figure out how to switch to the Gallium driver. After
searching online to no avail, I tried switching the "Driver" line in
xorg.conf to "gallium."  That didn't seem to work.  When I logged back
in, the display was super low resolution and listed the driver as i915.

(2)  I figured that removing the package for the nvidia driver would
switch me back to Gallium.  It didn't.

(3)  I reinstalled the nvidia driver.  Nowhere along the way did it
change the permissions on my home directory.  However...

(4)  When I got back into Cinnamon, I lost settings that you wouldn't
expect I would have lost.  For example:
a-  My language setting was lost
b-  My panel settings were back to the default
c-  My window settings (e.g. where the maximize/minimize/close buttons
appear) were back to the default
d-  I had my GMail account configured in Pidgin for GTalk and the
account was gone.
e-  Also, in Pidgin, I had disabled the lib-notify plug-in.  It was
re-enabled.
f-  When I started Firefox, it checked for plug-in compatability, which
it only does the first time you run it after installing a new version,
so it seems to have forgotten it had already done this
g-  In Terminal, I had changed the colors.  These went back to the defaults.
h-  When I look at my bash history, I don't see any of the apt-get
commands I used for this experiment or the editing of the xorg.conf
file, which leads me to believe I may be going crazy.

I'm guessing some or all of the above settings were all stored in my
home directory.  So like I said, I couldn't recreate the original
problem, but I managed to create some new ones.

Will