[Discuss] [OT] how to disable Gmail's filtering of duplicate messages?

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> If you find something, please be sure to post back here.

Ah, nice to see others are looking for a solution.

I haven't tested this, but I have a speculative solution that could work
if these assumptions apply:

-you're using Gmail essentially as an SMTP relay, and immediately
pulling messages from Gmail to some client machine;

-Gmail's (somewhat recently introduced) option to have it delete
messages completely (expunge) when the client moves them out of the
Gmail IMAP folders works as expected;

-Gmail doesn't use a separate, perpetual database of message IDs, or in
other words, forgets a message ID if the corresponding message is purged.

That's a lot of ifs, and even if they all work, it invalidates the
benefits of using IMAP and server-side storage, which will defeat the
purpose of using Gmail for many people.

It also could prove to be unreliable, as it depends on your client being
perpetually connected to Gmail, and its ability to pull down and delete
a received message before its duplicate arrives.

I guess the next step is to post to some Google forum and hold my breath
waiting for Google to add an option.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro