[Discuss] How do Linux guys back up Windows?

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:

> A little humor....
>
> Q: How do Linux guys back up Windows?
> A: Real Linux guys install Linux over Windows.

Yep, but when the significant or the 'paycheck sponsor' other doesn't want
to go there, you just make it work somehow.

I did backups for a number of years.  Mainly IBM's TSM on Linux, AIX,
Solaris, and various M$ versions.  The basic scenario for M$Win restore was
to install a very minimal install into a non-/Windows directory.  Add the
TSM client.  Restore everything, then reboot.  It basically came back as
the 'old machine', then erase the non-/Windows directory you put stuff in,
and you are 'production ready'.  Yes there were more details, but not much.
 BackupExec is basically the same (mainly Windows).

I had one Solaris customer that was uber-tied to various library versions
that didn't want the system updated to new versions of libraries, so they
were a pain.  I am sure it was best for them that they moved on to another
provider under their own power.

Image versions of restores work.  Don't quite know why but I had problems
with them in production environments.  I am sure it was something that
never sunk into my hard head.

... Live is easier being retired. ... Not getting 3AM customer calls is
very nice (I got those while working for Oil companies, banks, ISP's, etc
over the years - somehow 3AM was the witching hour).

Enjoy your Christmas break! ... Jack