[Discuss] How do Linux guys back up Windows?

Looking more at Dave's situation, IMHO, Dave might be better off running
Windows in a virtual machine. The advantages are:
1. The VM can  be backed up during normal Linux backups and easily
restored.
2. You can take snapshots to reduce boot time.
3. VMs are portable. You can stick a VM on a USB drive and run it from
another computer. You can take a Virtualbox and move it to VMWare and
vice-versa with a bit of effort.
4. As in Mark's #1, since the physical system is the virtual container,
it does not care about the physical world.
5. VMWare and VirtualBox provide methods to convert an existing physical
machine to virtual. (PtoV). This way you can take your physically
installed Windows and convert them to a virtual container. VMWare has a
free tool you can use for this.

There are some disadvantages of virtual machines.
1. Graphics is limited, so if you are using Windows for a high
performance graphical system, then VM is not for you
2. Performance of a VM is going to be less than that if it is native.
With today's multi-core processors this is not muc of an issue.
But this makes a much better backup solution

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix