[Discuss] Home NAS redux

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu)
<blu at nedharvey.com>wrote:

CDDL grants more freedom than GPL.  That is why it's incompatible with GPL.
>  Because CDDL explicitly allows code developers to distribute their code
> under other licenses, and keep some of it closed source if they want to.
>  GPL explicitly disallows that freedom, which is why CDDL is incompatible
> with GPL.
> [...]
> I am saying the statement representing CDDL as a "lack of freedom" and
> bias in favor of GPL on these grounds, is factually incorrect.

This is an argument about incompatible definitions of the word "freedom". I
see your argument
as equivalent to claiming that a society that allows slavery is "more free"
than one that denies
its citizens the right to own human beings as property.

Silently assuming that the person you're arguing with agrees with your
definition, and then
declaring that your definition  is the "factually correct" one, is not an
argument based on
rationality; that style of argument is better described as fanatical
zealotry.

PGP KeyID: 32A492D8 / Email: abreauj at gmail.com
PGP FP: 7834 AEC2 EFA3 565C A4B6  9BA4 0ACB AD85 32A4 92D8