[Discuss] Home NAS redux

On 01/03/2013 12:38 PM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> I know what I wrote but I do need to correct two of your factual errors.
>
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:42:12 -0500
> Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure that almost everyone used the original 'BSD TCP/IP
>> stack as a reference. I know Windows' tcp/ip stack is from BSD.
> A common misconception but one that in fact is not true. There are
> vestiges inherited from Spider's STREAMS stack, notable in the command
> line tools like ftp and rsh, but the stack itself was written from
> scratch by Microsoft.

Well, the DOS version of Windows, windows 1.x through Windows ME, didn't
have TCP until Windows 3.1(1) (as winsock). The 386 enhanced version,
I'm not sure where that was implemented or by whom. The Windows NT/32
bit OS/2 was taken from BSD. Windows NT on through Windows 8 is based on
the NT kernel which looks a hell of a lot like VMS, but that is a
different discussion.