[Discuss] Home NAS redux

On 01/03/2013 03:35 PM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 14:40:31 -0500
> Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
>
>> "Now, some of Spider's code (possibly all of it) was based on the
>> TCP/IP stack in the BSD flavors of Unix.
> I've seen that article. It is mistaken. Spider couldn't have taken the
> STREAMS API from BSD because BSD doesn't have a STREAMS API. Spider's
> code is AT&T System V, not BSD.
We are now arguing unprovable minutia. Since all the code is obsolete
and far out of any reach to verification, we have only the documents we
can dig up to prove our points.  I'll trust the contents of a wall
street journal article, an interview with a former NT kernel developer,
and my own personal experiences.

Whether or not this small matter of trivia is correct or not is
irrelevant.  This debate is about freedom and the GPL, which, I'm pretty
sure we've concluded you've lost. Even these finer points of history are
blurred because the GPL was not being used. Had the BSD code base been
GPL we could have proved all of this because vendors would have had to
contribute back their changes to the GPL authors. Furthermore, we would
probably have avoided the whole AT&T/Berkeley mess in the '90s.