[Discuss] [OT] iOS from a power user's perspective

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:21:18 -0500
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> I don't entirely agree. When you buy an iPad from Apple you can buy a
> case, a keyboard and many other accessories.

No, that's precisely the point. When you buy an iPad you don't get a
choice about the device. Millions upon millions of identical shiny
things flying out retailers' doors. Accessories aren't something to
make the generic iPad better. They're something to make your generic
iPad seem different from your neighbor's generic iPad. It's telephone
face plates on Apple's premium money-making machine.

Sure, there are a handful of accessories that provide actual functional
improvements but few consumers actually buy them or use them. This is
based on my observations of notebook and tablet use at MIT, at coffee
shops and restaurants, and on the Commuter Rail.

> When most people buy laptops, they also buy an external mouse
> because most people don't like the built-in touchpad.

My observations of people's buying and usage habits do not concur with
this assertion.

--
Rich P.