[Discuss] Its not possible to make things easier for users

On 01/14/2013 03:09 PM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:47:24 -0600
> Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
>
>> Only the base (V6) does.  Every other model of Mustang (GT, Boss,
>> Shelby) require premium gas.
> Even the Shelby will run fine with 87 octane. It won't knock if the
> engine sensors are working properly. You lose 10 HP at the high end
> with regular gasoline. That's the real reason Ford recommends premium
> gasoline for the V8s.

It should be noted that "knock sensors" detect a gas detonation and
cause the control system to retard the engine timing. Two things about
this: The detonation damages the engine and the time retardation reduces
engine performance and efficiency.

The *real* reason why ford recommends premium gasoline is that the
increased octane reduces the tendency to detonate at higher compression
ratios (used by higher performance engines) by reducing the burn speed
of the air/fuel mixture. If you want to use cheap gas in a performance
car, a *good* mechanic can usually adjust the timing to be slightly
retarded so that the spark is later.

This is exactly why you can't help users. User's do not know what they
do not know and somehow expect the world to take care of them.

Even Apple is getting spanked for being too simple. More people use
android than iPhone.