[Discuss] XFCE

Dan Ritter wrote:
> What do you use?

GNOME 2 for many years, but now Cinnamon.

> I can't think of any off the top of my head.

This past year I briefly tried out a bunch of different desktops, and
given all the discussion that occurs about them, you'd expect them to be
more radically different from each other. Largely the differences are
superficial and on the margins.

> There's no support for titlebar on the side.

Titlebar on the side? I've never heard of that.

You're not talking about a panel on the side?

>> I think around 2007 was the last time session persistence worked
>> decent in GNOME.
>
> It works slightly better if you use xfterminal or gnome-terminal
> rather than my beloved unicode-rxvt. Even then, you'll get most
> windows restarting in the right spots. Chrome does it nicely,
> Firefox usually doesn't and ends up in the wrong desktop. In
> general, ending the session and then coming back in works the
> way you would expect it to.

Yeah, I've noticed restored Firefox sessions (FF own internal sessions
using Session Manager extension) don't respect their workspace
currently. This has worked at one time back when I was using GNOME 2
during the past few years. Not sure why it comes and goes.

Ultimately session persistence is highly dependent on the app, as the
desktop just takes care of assigning the session a label and sending the
signals to the apps to tell them to save or restore a session. But
apparently even that little bit of infrastructure got broke in GNOME 2
somewhere along the way.

In my opinion, all desktop apps, to the greatest extent possible, should
be designed to be crash proof, saving their work periodically, and
restoring all state on restart.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro