[Discuss] data caps

Tom Metro wrote:
> Matt Shields wrote:
>> While I would love to punish the companies that abuse datacaps in
>> favor of profit.  Some people do not have much of a choice when it
>> comes to what service is available.
>
> That was the point of my question...what are the alternatives?

Coincidentally a Gizmodo article published last week specifically
addresses this:

How To Ditch Your Cable Internet Provider Forever
http://gizmodo.com/5977139/how-to-ditch-your-cable-internet-provider-forever

  Here are four broadband alternatives that don't require a visit from
  the cable guy.

They list fiber, which comes down to either Google, if you happen to be
in Kansas City, or Verizon. How is Verizon any better than the cable
company? Essentially the same model. If you happen to live somewhere
with a good provider, this should be the best option from a technical
standpoint.

Then WiMax, specifically Clearwire, which we've discussed and dismissed
as inadequate. This is probably the next best of the available options,
if you happen to have a good WiMax provider in your area.

Then satellite, which we also covered.

The last option is fractional T1, which doesn't seem to be cost effective.

No mention of VDSL or carrier Ethernet.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro