[Discuss] Shutting down Oracle hosted on Linux

On 01/26/2013 11:35 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
>>
>> I think the best way is /etc/init.d/oracle_service.sh stop
>> Don't know why the DBA used the long name. The best way is for me to use
>> this script firstand make sure that Oracle is fully stopped then issue
>> my script to shutdown all the servers.
> But most importantly, this should happen automatically when you run the shutdown command.
>
> I fully expect, unless somebody broke it in your system, there's a symlink
> /etc/rc3.d/K10oracle_service --> /etc/init.d/oracle_service.sh
>
> The shutdown script finds anything that starts with "K" and runs that with the "stop" argument.  End result should be exactly as you said:
> /etc/init.d/oracle_service.sh stop
>
> The shutdown script first sorts all the K scripts, executes each one in order.  So things numbered lower than 10 (in the example I wrote above) would be stopped before your oracle service, while things higher number stop later.

There should be. The Toronto DBAs are not really Linux heavies. I'll
check the symlinks. Normally, when installing software, the startup and
shutdown scripts should be installed by the package manager. This case,
the script had to be modified. The issue is that I don't know 100%, but
since I no longer can count on prompt support, I need to learn.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix