[Discuss] Disk recovery utilities - dealing with deleted files

I think we've all done this at some point: an rsync --delete or the
equivalent, from an empty directory to a target directory that had stuff we
didn't want to lose.

In my case I have cron job that mirrors two systems.  While swapping data
around yesterday, I forgot about this cron job and rsync merrily deleted a
couple hundred .mpg files (I have the filenames in a log, to which my cron job
deposits the verbose stdout, so I know exactly what happened and when).

Lesson learned: obviously, I'm going to change that cron job to some sort of
sequestration method:  move the files someplace before this rsync, don't ever
delete them until I manually confirm. (Anyone else have a script for that?
It'll be a bit hairy to write from scratch...)

Now I'm hunting for a recovery tool that can scavenge these files from the
(partly) emptied-out ext4 filesystem image.

Both 'extundelete' and 'debugfs' find nothing; they apparently look at a
journal that's apparently empty, and I don't know how to use them well enough
to force them to look more deeply.  I know the content is there, though,
because (a) there were no operations done on this filesystem after the
deletion, and (b) a scan by another tool 'foremost' finds 142 of the missing
files (its default configuration can pattern-match .png files but not my .mpg
files).

Have you ever been able to get an undelete tool to work?  If not, have you
ever switched to a different filesystem so as to get better access to
accidentally-deleted data?  Some of the old filesystems (mostly from DEC) were
much better at sequestering data so it stays around until new files require
use of the space.

Meanwhile, the script-writing and script-improving *never ends*...

-rich
P.S.  This is all I got out of "undelete":

# extundelete /dev/data01/volmytharch1 --restore-all
WARNING: Extended attributes are not restored.
Writing output to directory RECOVERED_FILES/
Searching for recoverable inodes in directory / ...
0 recoverable inodes found.
Looking through the directory structure for deleted files ...
0 recoverable inodes still lost.
No files were undeleted.