[Discuss] Ext4, ugh! Re: Disk recovery utilities - dealing with deleted files

Ed, that seems like a better approach for most uses.

I was doing a backup system for an employer, and we had a 'large'
linux server with enough memory, so I used EXT2 for the file system,
because 3 and 4 even more so used more disk space for their cache to
increase performance.  I liked having the extra 10% of space for data.

This is a write mostly file system (backups to disk) and plenty of
memory and CPU horsepower for the job, so EXT2 it was.

This is NOT the correct answer for everyone.  That is why being an
engineer by training and a sysadmin by vocation allows me to get the
projects no one else (in my group) will touch and get them working.

Engineering application specific solutions isn't hard, it is just
tedious and takes lots of testing, weighing alternatives, getting
empirical repeatable results (not just what someone on the 'list says)
makes for a good solution.  Then it has to be documented, and
hopefully include the options and alternatives and WHY a solution was
chosen over others.  The documentation seems to be what falls in the
dirt most often.

Fast, Good, Cheap --- Choose 2.  All 3 is not an option.

><> ... Jack
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate"
- Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." -
Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part. - Martin Terma