[Discuss] USB thumbdrive, Linux only usage: FAT vs NTFS vs other? TRIM support?

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:51:10 -0600
Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:

> It's very different.  With a FAT filesystem, the OS gives you the
> option to specify the UID/GUID to mount with, so YOU DO NOT NEED TO
> MAKE THE FILES WORLD READABLE/WRITABLE.  AFAIK you can't do that with
> any other writable filesystem.

As a matter of fact, many of the file systems supported by Linux have
options for uid and gid mapping. It's the ones commonly used for live
systems which don't.

At the end of the day, if you want to maximize portability then use FAT
and live with the big allocation units. Or do something to ensure that
UIDs and GIDs are themselves portable across hosts.

--
Rich P.