[Discuss] [OT] Smart Phones

Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
>I think I was the last human being above the age of 16 to get a smart
>phone.

You're not the last. I still don't own one and perhaps never will.  My days
are already jam-packed with technology; the last thing I desire is to carry
more technology around with me.

#define LIFESTYLE_GENTLE_RANT 1

Other than GPS (which I have in my car), I have yet to encounter a single
smartphone app that would make my life *happier*. This is not a troll so
please don't respond with your dozen favorite apps. :-) My priorities are
just different.

If I'm standing in a long, boring line waiting for something, I don't want
to whip out a phone and surf the web or play a game. I'd rather think
interesting thoughts, compose music in my head, read a book, or harangue
the person responsible for the long delay. (I'd chat with the person next
to me, but he's playing with his smartphone.)

Work is insanely busy. So when I'm not at work, I like living slowly,
cultivating patience.  Enjoying a meal without the beep of a text
message. I understand that others need to stay in contact with work
24x7. I've chosen not to live that way, and to accept whatever compromises
come with that choice. (Even so, I'm having a successful career in the tech
industry. It's a balancing act.)

The only tough part is not having mobile access to my calendar. This means
every so often, I make an appointment for a time that's already booked, so
I have to phone later to change it. It's a small price to pay to stay
unhooked.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com