[Discuss] [OT] Smart Phones

On 03/01/2013 12:52 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> You're not the last. I still don't own one and perhaps never will. My
> days are already jam-packed with technology; the last thing I desire
> is to carry more technology around with me.

I keep my phone on silent almost always, I pull it out when I want it
and seldom when it wants me. I don't do work e-mail on it, I very seldom
don't do e-mail from this account on it (too old an address, too much
spam).

I don't let it have to power to stress me, I assert my power over it, it
serves me.

The idea that I would want to not have it because I don't want it to
drive me is like not wanting electricity because I don't want to labor
after dark. Both arguments make some sense, but seem remote. I am sure
there were those back when who resisted hooking up to electricity
because they didn't want it to ruin their lives, but they seem silly, too.

I like reading on my small tablet, which I have with me almost as much
as my phone, but not quite. And the other day I was standing in the
basement waiting for the washer to fill and mix with the soap a bit more
before I put the clothes in, so I read another page, in the same book,
starting at the same location, but on my phone. I didn't have to
anticipate that I wanted to do this, I didn't have to remember what page
I was on, the Kindle app was already on my phone and it already knew
where I was. Yes, the screen is little, but it is sharper than many
printed books. Yes, the screen doesn't work in bright light, but I
wasn't in bright light--and I could get an e-paper Kindle if I were
going to the beach.

I can understand wanting to live slowly. But why is that incompatible
with a smartphone? Learn how to turn off the beeps.

A phone isn't an autonomous and sentient Taser that will sneak up on you
and attack when you aren't looking. No, once you turn off the beeps it
sits quietly until you decide to pick it up. Why is that stressful? It
sounds like you know there is forbidden stress in the phone and can't
stop yourself from reaching for it and taking a drink. Yes, in that case
I can see you are better off without one, but it sounds more like you
are enjoying being a fuddy-duddy and wearing the mantle of Wise Old Timer.

-kb, the Kent who was savoring the language of _Richard_III_ the other
day, off some instance of his "more technology", with his feet up, wine
in hand, and not feeling stressed at all.