[Discuss] [OT] Smart Phones

On 03/04/2013 02:51 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> The costs of smart phones are ridiculous.

Old timer that I am, if you had told the teenage edition of me that a
device like my Galaxy Nexus would be available in my lifetime, I would
have been rather wide-eyed with tons of questions about "HOW?!".

The fact that this item is cheaper than my original TRS-80 Model 1, even
with no adjustment for inflation, is stunning.

 From that perspective, I have a hard time seeing this hardware overpriced.

Is the service overpriced?  Maybe, but when the imaginary teenage-me had
the celltower and back haul infrastructure described, he would guessed
there would be no way he could ever afford it.

Yet millions of Americans can afford both. To an old timer, this is
stunning. The list of technologies necessary to make my phone work...it
boggles my mind.

-kb