[Discuss] [OT] Smart Phones

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:34:55 -0800
"Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote:

> Sometime last year a major news organization (I think it was ABC)
> announced that the build cost of an iPhone is US$8, which if true

BS. The box and box contents (charger, headphones) are eight bucks.
Total BOM and manufacture costs for iPhone 5 ranges from $207 to $238
according to iSuppli's analysis. iPhone 4s BOM+manufacture costs run
from $196 to $253. This is just the hardware components. It does not
include software, licensing, royalties, advertising, shipping, and so
forth.

Welcome to the modern "news reporting" where journalistic integrity and
basic fact-checking take a back seat to hype and ratings.

--
Rich P.