[Discuss] Opinions needed: wiki software

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:

> I've been asked to help improve a wiki site that is currently using
> Mediawiki, and I'm seeking
> information about alternative wiki packages which might be a better match
> for the uses
> that are needed.
>
> Here are the bullet points:
>
>  * A combination of public and private info, with about 99% of it being
>    "public".
>  * The group needs to be able to restrict access to the private
>    material, with
>    a reasonable level of security.
>  * The group installed a wiki to make it easier for individual group
>    members to edit
>    both shared and personal pages, and switched to Mediawiki because of
>    some
>    undefined security concern with a different wiki package.
>  * The content of the wiki changes very slowly.
>  * The Mediawiki documentation specifically warns against trying to use
>    it for
>    both public and private pages: it's used for Wikipedia, and isn't
>    geared for
>    a mixed public/private site.
>
> All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your help.

Hi Bill,

A solution to this common situation is to use the wiki as the internal
authoring and sharing environment.  Then, built a thin replication/proxy
layer that essentially exports anything not marked 'private' to the public
view.  This not only solves the access problems but can also solve scaling
requirements as a side-effect.

My company, eQuality Technology, specializes in wikis, knowledge, document
and content management solutions if you might be looking for project help.

Greg Rundlett
founder
eQuality Technology
http://eQuality-Tech.com