[Discuss] Opinions needed: wiki software

On March 10, 2013, discuss-request at blu.org wrote:
>  * The Mediawiki documentation specifically warns against trying to use
>    it for both public and private pages: it's used for Wikipedia, and isn't
>    geared for a mixed public/private site.

If you like MediaWiki, just not the security model, you can install a
second MediaWiki instance for the private pages. Call them www.yourwiki.com
and secure.yourwiki.org, and lock down the latter using standard MediaWiki
configuration variables. Centralize the access control using an LDAP
solution and defining groups. Cross-link between them using interwiki links
(a standard MediaWiki feature).

Things get a little trickier with search -- you might need to install a
third-party search engine, such as Lucene, and configure it to index both
sites. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how you'd deal with the secure
pages showing up in the search results though; you might need to customize
Lucene (a Java application).

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com