[Discuss] Opinions needed: wiki software

On March 13, 2013, Rich Pieri wrote:
>I'm saying that you can't load the database file into MySQL on a
>different architecture.

Yep. The output of mysqldump, however, is merely a generated list of INSERT
statements to recreate the database contents. These dumps do seem pretty
portable in my experience, and that's what I was referring to by "dump and
restore the database."

>I got lucky in that a working, nearly identical computer was retired
>shortly afterwards and I was able to recover that data.

Glad to hear it. If you're concerned about not being able to find a
compatible computer, maybe running your wiki in a VM would avoid the issue?

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com