[Discuss] FOSS email that doesn't suck -- does such a thing exist?

On 3/17/2013 9:30 PM, Jack Coats wrote:
> If you are finding things hard to do with FOSS, then open your wallet
> and pay for the software, unless you are planning on joining one of
> the FOSS projects and contributing so it turns into something other
> than a 'smolder pile of' whatever.

I tried that with Claws Mail. CM is not the most well-organized
projects, and the core development group members aren't always on the
same page. A small fix I submitted (with patch) for a problem with
alternate configuration directories was met with "hey, that's great!"
from some and "gee, that's broken!" from others. It's more discouraging
than a unified disagreement over changes and fixes.

Quite some time back I was involved with the (ding) Gnus project. I
stopped using Gnus not because of Gnus but because I hate having to deal
with MULE.

On 3/17/2013 9:53 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Can you cut cross-platform from your list of requirements if you
> can *use* the program on any internet-connected machine?

No, since having an Internet connection is not assured. Having no access
to existing messages is worse than having a MUA that stinks.

> Or perhaps you can give up on using exactly the same program
> everywhere.

I used to do that and I'd rather not go back to it. I work from several
different operating systems over the course of a day. Not having feature
parity across all of them causes problems.

On 3/18/2013 12:26 AM, Randy Cole wrote:
> I used to use Eudora, and really liked it.  But it was abandoned
> (turned over to mozilla folks?) several years ago,

Qualcomm didn't turn anything over to Mozilla. Instead, they put a
Eudora-like skin on Thunderbird 3.0.4 and then stopped bothering with
the whole email thing.

> so now just use gmail's web client and put up with the UI limitations.

There are several reasons why this is not viable, mostly having to do
with separation of public and private accounts and privacy of my mail
storage.

--
Rich P.