[Discuss] FOSS email that doesn't suck -- does such a thing exist?

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Randy Cole <randyokc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to use Eudora, and really liked it.  But it was abandoned (turned
> over to mozilla folks?) several years ago, so now just use gmail's web
> client and put up with the UI limitations.

Eudora got abandoned when Qualcomm moved on to other things; by the
time it was axed the code was years out of date and would have needed
significant changes to keep up with new internet standards.Lon Then
there was an attempt at a "new" Eudora that was actually a reskinned
Thunderbird; that project also seems to be dead. Thunderbird itself is
semi-abandoned now; Mozilla is doing security updates but not putting
any significant effort into development of new features.

Part of the problem is that email just isn't sexy right now. Young
people aren't using it much and it's overrun with spam. Lots of people
have given up or gone to the big webmail services. All of this means
that developers aren't finding it an interesting place to spend their
efforts.