[Discuss] DNS question about DNSENUM.PL

--On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:53 PM -0400 Chris O'Connell
<omegahalo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clearly the fact that you must use brute forcing to guess some records (or
> hosts) but not others indicates that there is a way to obscure and hide
> things to some extent.  I don't know if this is using a zone transfer, or

No, there isn't. You're misinterpreting how DNS works and how DNSENUM
operates. DNSENUM doesn't have to brute force some names because it gets
them via reverse lookups on the IP address ranges it determines are part of
the target domain or subdomain.

> As always, I'm happy to learn more.  RIch, is this is the book you
> recommend?  http://www.amazon.com/DNS-BIND-5th-Cricket-Liu/dp/0596100574

Yes.

--
Rich P.