[Discuss] pseudo-off-site backup

    Tom> John Dvorak on last weekend's This Week in Tech (twit.tv) says
    Tom> he keeps a 1 TB portable drive (hopefully encrypted) in his car
    Tom> as a pseudo-off-site backup.

    Tom> Although way more likely to be damaged along with your house,
    Tom> compared to a real off-site backup, I bet if one looked at the
    Tom> percentage of cars destroyed along with their affiliated
    Tom> houses, the cars probably survive over 50% of the time. (If
    Tom> your car resides in a garage in or under your house, that
    Tom> likely goes down.)

The person I actually know who would have benefited most from an
offsite backup had all his electronics confiscated by the police when
they found some marijuana plants in his apartment.  I don't think having
it in his car would have worked.

Are there really people who don't have somewhere they go regularly that
they can leave a backup at?  I use my mother's house because I sometimes
go there for several days and it's theoretically useful for being able
to do work on those days (although I actually usually use the network),
but I have several friends who would let me use their place.  Maybe John
Dvorak should get out more?

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

At dawn, the magpie sings, and by day the black cockatoo wing their
way across a sunny sky.  The koala, possum, dingo and carpet snake are
silent on the land below.  A mist covers the mountains.  We and our
land are crying for you.

Eve Fesl, Matriarch of the Gubbi Gubbi tribe, eulogizing Steve Irwin