[Discuss] Cable Modem Woes / Looking to Compare Notes

My only FiOS horror story is the inability to get it. Verizon wanted to
come to Boston but was unwilling to commit to hooking up the entire city;
Menino wouldn't sign off unless they did. If Verizon had gotten its way I
probably STILL wouldn't have gotten service, as I live in one of the parts
of the city that they would have chosen not to serve. Boston was already
burned once by RCN, which has a full-city license but only offers service
in a handful of areas.

In any case, they now seem to have gotten into a gentlemen's agreement with
the cable companies to not expand service, and thus make sure that places
that don't already have real competition won't get it.

So far Comcast has been pretty good here, though there are occasional
outages. Certainly much better than Clearwire or than the Speakeasy DSL we
had before that. To be fair to Speakeasy, it was only in recent years we
had trouble with them. We had a reliable 768K SDSL connection for many
years, but when that got to be too slow for modern internet use we tried to
upgrade to a faster ADSL connection and that never worked, largely due to
Verizon's failure to deliver acceptable copper. (For some reason they
couldn't just convert the good circuit we already had, they insisted on
installing a new one.)