[Discuss] encrypted basic cable

> Daniel Barrett wrote:
>> I found a similar no-set-top-box plan on FIOS for even less money,
>> $10/month, switched, and never had a problem again.
>
> You're referring to a plan that only covers the retransmission of local
> broadcast stations (and probably public access stations), right?
>
> Are you using it with digital or analog tuners?
>
> At one time, and perhaps still currently, FIOS optical network terminals
> (ONTs) actually provided the basic channels as analog video. Something
> Comcast got rid of years ago. Given the architecture of Comcast's
> network, they had more incentive to do so, as it ate up shared bandwidth
> on their system.
>
> Now that the FCC has ruled that cable companies have no obligation to
> provide the basic tier as unencrypted digital, I wonder how long you'll
> be able to continue using this service without a converter box. (A
> converter box the FCC says you can be charged for, after 2 years.)

This is why conventional cable companies are going away and being replaced
by the likes of netflix and youtube.

The cable companies are forcing people to rent equipment to watch
conventional TV that is increasingly valueless. I mean, have you looked at
prime time TV lately? There is nothing on that's really entertaining, the
news is a joke, and there are so many commercials there is almost no
actual show.

I have basic cable and internet. If basic cable goes away, I'll buy an
antenna. It will be cheaper and more flexible than their set-top box, and
won't have any less content.