Subject: Next Friday: join us for the most glamorous DRM event of the year
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:20:33 -0400
From: DefectiveByDesign.org <info at defectivebydesign.org>

This coming Friday (May 3rd) is the [2013 International Day Against
DRM](http://dayagainstdrm.org), when members of our community hold
events around the world to challenge DRM and get people excited about
defending their freedom. Here in the Boston area, we'll be paying a
visit to the headquarters of the [World Wide Web Consortium
(W3C)](http://www.w3.org/). We're going to deliver a petition demanding
that they turn down a proposal to build DRM support into the fabric of
the Web. You're invited!

If you don't already know about the petition, you can read it
[here](http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5). In essence,
some giant software companies are trying trying to change HTML, the core
language of the Web, to make it easier for them and their Big Media
buddies to put restrictions on the media they host online. The tagline
of our campaign is "We don't want the Hollyweb," in reference to the
influence Hollywood and other media companies are trying to exert on the
Web.

Here's the good part: for the petition delivery, we're going to be
delivering an Oscar to the W3C, to poke some fun at their potential
collusion with Big Media. And we won't stop there; we've got a red
carpet, and we're all going to dress like movie stars! The more of you
that can come and help us class up the joint, the better.

**We're going to meet at 2:00 PM at MIT in Cambridge, exact location
TBA. If you'd like to come, please reply to this email to let us know.**
Please include a phone number and whether you'll be bringing others. If
you can bring a camera and take photos or video, please let us know that
as well.

Plan to wear your glitziest outfit to the petition delivery (even if
it's not too glitzy). We really want to ham up the Oscars theme. Hope to
see you there!

Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager

* Follow us at <https://status.fsf.org/dbd>.
* Subscribe to our blog via RSS at
<http://www.defectivebydesign.org/rss.xml>.
* Donate to support the campaign at <https://donate.fsf.org>.
Defective by Design is a campaign of the Free Software Foundation.