[Discuss] Verizon phasing out copper

On 5/1/2013 5:42 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> There are many residential CLEC companies. Installing FIOS won't
> have the effect you mention, because VZ is not obligated to
> carry anyone else's IP traffic. There is no Net Neutrality Act.

There *were* many residential CLECs. There aren't so many any more. Most
went bankrupt through the naughties. Most of the ones that survived
either merged to become big corporate CLECs or got bought out by big
corporate CLECs that don't do residential. They partner with various
national cable operators like Comcast, Charter, Cox, and Time Warner to
provide residential service.

Never mind that having copper is no guarantee of being able to get
service. Nobody would provide me with DSL where I live in Natick.
Nobody. Not Verizon. Not Megapath. Nobody.

So, what I say about it is simple: if you don't have DSL at your
residence now then you never will. You lose nothing by VZ ripping out
the old copper.

--
Rich P.