[Discuss] Verizon phasing out copper

dan at geer.org wrote:
> I understand copper, 66 blocks, punch down tools, and I
> know simplicity when I see it, not to mention that I have

Simple. Yeah. Look inside a PSTN switch. The one I had, from Unisys,
looked like a hand-made dual-CPU 80386 in a big IBM RS/6000 deskside
cabinet -- because it WAS a hand-made dual-CPU 80386 in a cabinet
cribbed from IBM.

> multiple tenants in multiple buildings and our alarm systems
> run through the same 66 blocks (on copper).  Verizon is

Conduit is a non-issue. Verizon would bring in a contractor to dig
trenches and run new fiber conduit to all of the residences. The only
issue is how much you can get VZ to pay you for the privilege of running
that fiber. A smart thing to do is negotiate a complete deployment to
the entire property. Then let individuals decide whether to switch to
FiOS or not.

Which makes the alarm system a non-issue, too, since VZ will leave the
copper in place.

--
Rich P.