[Discuss] Filesystem(s) for multi-OS, whole house backup?

My first rule of a good backup strategy: use the vendor-supplied tools
whenever possible.

My second rule of a good backup strategy: ignore the first rule only
when you have a need not met by the vendor-supplied tools.

You have Macintosh. The vendor-supplied backup tool for Macintosh is
Time Machine. Rule 1 says use that. Time Machine works just fine over
netatalk on various Linux file systems. I suggest carving off a
dedicated Time Machine volume in your storage system since TM will
consume all available space.

You have Windows. The vendor-supplied backup tools for Windows are
ntbackup (2000, XP) and Windows Backup and Restore (Vista, 7, 8). Rule 1
says use these. ntbackup isn't particularly friendly towards technical
users, never mind the ignorant masses, which is why for Backup and
Restore. Windows B&R is a pile of junk. I can invoke rule 2 because the
vendor-supplied tools do not meet my needs. My "something else" of
choice right now is Acronis TrueImage 2013. YMMV.

--
Rich P.