[Discuss] Verizon phasing out copper

On 05/06/2013 09:24 AM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 05/05/2013 07:36 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
>> Randy Cole wrote:
>>> Without competition or dpu regulation,
>>
>> FiOS is regulated. It is regulated at the local level just like every
>> other cable TV service in the US.
>
> But not in the same way copper POTS was in some very important
> respects.  First, access: Vz doesn't /have/ to provide third party
> access (so for example there will never be another Speakeasy, or
> 10-10-220 if you remember that).  Second, while Comcast is the vocal
> leader on this, Vz is right behind them: they like to claim that since
> it's not a POTS line any more that the provisions of common-carrier
> status don't apply (Comcast has voiced this on a few occasions in
> testimony to the FCC; Verizon for it's part took the FCC to court
> about net neutrality last year, wherein they basically said the same
> thing Comcast said ("common-carrier doesn't apply to us anymore"):
>
> http://www.dmlp.org/blog/2012/balancing-interests-open-internet-verizon-challenges-fccs-net-neutrality-rules

The whole thing is very complicated because you have many new
technologies. In the POTS days, each town had its CO as well as one or
more "exchanges". Today, the exchanges are nearly meaningless and the
area codes are becoming that way especially when phones are going mostly
VOIP. IMHO, the carriers do need to be regulated. We essentially have a
small number of carriers now in the US. Your TV cable companies compete
with satellite and FIOS. Your phone provider competes with the cable tv,
providers as well as the several VOIP providers. So, essentially
Verizion, Comcast, Time-Warner, et. al provide essentially competing
services. The issue is that the governments have not yet caught up to
the industry.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix