[Discuss] Verizon phasing out copper

On 5/7/2013 11:50 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 5/6/2013 11:58 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
>> Since any given cable TV provider's service is not common to
>> everyone that service cannot have common carrier status.
>
> That isn't what common carrier means.

I should also point out that TV is bad example, because they never were
common carriers.  Common carriage involves the "carrier" not being
either the supplier or the destination of the "package" in question.

The point of common carriage is that as long as the "carrier" remains
ignorant of what it is he is carrying, he is immune from prosecution for
merely delivering a package from point A to point B.  Cable TV service
doesn't need that protection because it's not allowing arbitrary
end-users to send things to each other.

Matt