[Discuss] Verizon phasing out copper

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Just because they're not in business now doesn't mean the idea of open
> access is doomed to failure.

To the contrary, I maintain that since none of the big CLECs had any
long-term success with it demonstrates that the model -- running your
business on your direct competitor's infrastructure -- is doomed to fail.

> Likewise the successful CLECs like speakeasy were in dense population
> centers, which is exactly where Vz wanted to target first with their
> FiOS rollout.  I would argue that the gross inferiority of DSL service
> compared to FiOS had more to do with their extinction than a doomed
> business model.

Verizon started deploying FiOS in 2005. The DSL CLEC industry collapsed
in 2001 as an adjunct to the dot-com bust. My conclusion is that FiOS
had nothing to do with the CLEC industry collapse.

>  - you may not refuse service to someone who is willing and able to pay
> in that geographic area

This is what I wrote. Common carriers provide service to everyone
equally. FiOS does not do this. FiOS can't do this. It's a cable TV service.

--
Rich P.